doesn't fly at our house. That is unless it's used sarcastically; then it's a free for all!
Before 9.20am today I had already dealt with a day full. But this story will need some back up. Get ready....get set....
While studying Finland and it's exceptional educational system (for a paper) I realized that I have 'hovering' tendencies as a Mom. The article I read stated that the lack of hovering by parents and teachers was one reason for the high scoring academics."Hurry up. We need to be out the door in 15 min." or "Ummmm. Is this plate clean? Yeah, I didn't think so either. Please clean it again." are just two of some very common sentences I use. I will often catch myself reminding the kids (usually the boys) of what they should already do on their own. Ick. I don't enjoy it and neither do they.
So, this morning I told Them All that since they knew (and have charts to help them if they forget the spot in the routine) I wasn't going to remind them of anything. This was my brilliant plan. Looking back I now realize the mistake of having children....er....I mean of not giving more preparation for them and ME. =D (For the record: I LOVE my kids and am glad I have them.) By the time we needed to leave NO.ONE. yes you read right.NO.ONE.WAS.READY. That is, except me.
I knew the consequences as time was ticking. Feet were slow and mouths full of food and talk. Sometimes it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize the facts; we were not going to be on time. I HATE being late. HATE. I guess that I'm not a typical Baby Child in this way. Don't get me wrong, I love jokes and having fun. But there is a time for that and this wasn't it.
One kid sat 'farting around' for 45 min. at breakfast. Glory be. Others, due to their lack of completing their jobs, spoiled some breakfast food. Did the Mamma clean up after the kiddo's? Nope. This, I learned, was the hardest part for me. Also untypical to the B.C. (baby child) I need order and tidy-ness. Really it's not just a need; it's a have-to-have-it-or-I-feel-as-if-I-can't-breathe thing. Truly. Well, we made it on time but with consequences. Ones that I didn't choose.
So, while the milk container sat on the table for The Child to take care of it all afternoon, I dealt with me. I wrote in my journal the other day that it really doesn't matter what grade I receive on my mid-term. What matters is how I handle Ben and the kids while juggling the studying for said test. That is the real test for me. Do I say no to often trying to achieve my degree goal? Do I hurt feelings unintentionally in order to make things in my space 'right' for me? This is were I will be working the hardest.
Yup. My house was a mess today. But I'm trying to learn to smile through that mess. I have a feeling this week will be a doozy as I relinquish more control and let the kids understand freedom = responsibility. If that responsibility is not taken care of there is no freedom. Or video games. Or candy. Or vacations. Or rest. Or world peace. =0) Heh. Those last three were added just to test you. A messy house cannot promote world peace....or can it?.....
3 comments:
Ohhhh, Be. Strong. Momma! I feel your pain - totally! I HATE being late, & I am such a control freak. I think it's the hardest thing in the world to not do things for them and take that responsibility right back into my own lap. But we're supposed to be training ourselves out of a job, right? I heard Kevin Leman say once to a Mom, "Let your son be late to school, then march him right into the principal, or vice principals office (or write a note) and say, this boy is late and has no excuse, please do whatever you need to for him to learn his lesson and not be late again. Love, Mom." That's stuck with me and I've come close to having to do it. My kinderG'ner ran down the hill crying late to school and I felt horrible not driving her, but she learned her lesson and hasn't been late since. Reality discipline baby! Hang in there - it's ohhh, soooo hard!
Katy-I am learning a lot too. And I am so thankful for that. I know I am heading into this territory. Boston is 5 now and can do more for himself then he lets on. And I have to remember to let him do it.
Ginger and Heather....I love you two! Thanks for the encouragment.
Post a Comment