For some updates:
RUNNING: Ben and I have been keeping up with our marathon training. We ran 11 miles the Saturday before last and today have 12 miles to conquer *UPDATE*we ran a trail that stank. It was a wood chip path that our feet sank into so I was only able to run 6 and walk 8. I'll run 12 next Saturday*. I gained 2 pounds but then lost them so I have yet to loose any lb's from all this running. Sheesh. What's a girl gott'a do??? Run a marathon apparently. =D I have yet to take a photo of my mom and I training. Once a week she bikes along with me when I run. It's also been more of a challenge to place the kids for the Saturday runs since we don't leave them alone. Many thanks to those who are helping us achieve our goal!
-
HOUSE: We found one that will work and the loan would be pretty too. We are just waiting for one last item to make an offer. By next week end (Lord willing) we'll have made an offer. God help us. Packing while beginning the spring term could be difficult. God knows. We just get to be patient and wait. Which, by the way, sounds so very much more romantic as a thought instead of reality.
SCHOOL: Our term ended the week previous to the kids' spring break and that week end before finals was quite busy. Sis and the Twins had a field trip and the Twins had a project due. All while Ben and I are either studying or actually taking the final. I think we handled this go round better than last term. We were just more patient parents this time which made a HUGE difference. We were all much more peaceful and thus more rested. With much excitement I was able to continue my 4.0 gpa this term (West. Civ. {102} and algebra {60}). When we begin spring term this Monday I'll be taking Eng. Lit. 104 and Math 65. The plan is to finish high school math over the summer. Kind'a scary to think that by fall I'll be in college algebra. Kind'a gross too.
FAMILY: We've all been healthy and haven't missed any school due to illness (aside from the vertigo Ben experienced in Jan.). I think the Twins have grown about 2 inches since their b-day in December. During break we were able to see both sets of grandparents which was a treat. I attended a 6 week life changing parenting class (that finished directly before finals which was nice) titled Get A New Kid By Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman and from that discovered several challenging books to read. One is Boundaries For Kids by Henry Cloud and John Townsend. One that I found through a Christmas concert (God uses whatever avenue He can!) titled In Praise Of Slowness by Carl Honore'. I've not finished the slowness one yet but what I have read is fantastic!
HEALTH: We've been continuing with our whole grain and no high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) mission. Thankfully our budget has not increased with our discriminatory diet and some times I end up spending less. Did you know that HFCS is basically included in all processed or pre-made foods? You'll find it in bread, meats, canned goods and sauces (unless you are choosy). The breads were the hardest to find and I now purchase all bread items at Trader Joe's since there are more options that contain natural sugars (honey, evaporated cane juices or fruit juice) or no sugars at all. Until recently I didn't really know what HFCS was but I knew it was highly processed and wanted to limit it. I now know that it's the sugar sludge from corn that has had the most sugary (is that a word?) part of fructose (sugar from fruit) added to it. If you compare 5g of white sugar and 5g of HFCS solids the HFCS will have more calories than the white sugar. So, in reality, HFCS is a super processed, condensed sugar. Gross. Just so you know we do break the rules at times. About two weeks ago I bought some fast food for the boys and me. While in the car I boisterously asked them "What's in these burgers boys?" "High Fructose corn syrup!" they respond. I smile and say joyously "And doesn't it taste delicious?!?" *grin*
So, that's about it. Not much has happened when you figure 40 days has passed. That means there was no big problems to deal with.....thank GOD!
Grandpa Lewis letting Esther paint his nails.
What a wonderful memory!
Joe putting Grandma Lewis' hair in a pony.
Another great memory.
Holding 2 week old kittens at a friends house.
Sue and Zachy in heaven.
5 comments:
Wow! That was a lot to catch up on! The pix are cute! Wonder if Grandpa Lewis knows he's been set up! Lol!
Enjoyed our time with you all last week, and whenever we can catch you! : )
It's so great to hear what you're all up to. What a busy household you run! And speaking of the running, you're doing so awesome! I'm very proud of you.
On the food front, have you been watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution TV show that just started? (channel 8, I think) It's pretty shocking. He goes in to an elementary school and tries to re-vamp all their super cruddy processed food meals and everyone has a cow! Gross. The kindergarteners didn't even know the names of common vegetables! How very sad. We have to do better for our kids!
I for one, am glad you are back. Missed you girl!
I'm glad you're back too! Just an fyi if you didn't know...there are some orowheat varieties of bread tht don't have hfcs in them either... We've been trying to cut this and white sugar in our house as well and you're right... it is in EVERYTHING!
Yeah. It's SO hard! In addition to no hfcs I'm also strickly keeping to whole grains (you are too right?). Do you know if the Orowheat varieties are whole grains only? =P Unlike you, Kristi, I am NOT (nor do I even dare think about it)eliminating caffine. Coffee....coffee....coffee....just doesn't taste right unleaded. But WAY to go YOU for stayin' strong!
Post a Comment