I had this brilliant spur of the moment idea at the dinner table last night. If I haven't mentioned in previous posts, every Friday night is, what we refer to as, sleep in bed's night (the kids worded this experience).It means that they get to swap beds or sleep on the floor.....basically a sibling sleep over. *side note: I cannot remember how this tradition started, but started it did.* Back to my idea. I thought, since it's sleep in beds night, why not kick off summer break with a bang and really let the kids go wild? So I asked Ben, via code just in case he nixed the idea, and he agreed. We told them they could stay up and watch movies all night, as late as they wanted. Joey said "We'll be grumpy tomorrow if we stay up all night!" Ben then veered from any idea I had and suggested full-of-caffeine-soda saying "This will help you stay up!". "Hurray!" yelled four exited children as I sat shaking my head. Oh dear.
When I went to bed at 9.30 Sis was already asleep. Ben had some prep for his golf tourney today and when he came to bed at almost midnight, all three boys were still awake. I slept okay. My mommy ears were working in full swing. I heard every little creak and groan of the house. Ben's alarm woke him up at 5a.m. and he left around 5.30. I woke up when he left and was hearing strange noises. The kids were giggling and talking. What?!? Ummmm........it's 5.30! So, I go down and this is the story that comes forth.
Me: What are you all doing awake? When did you fall asleep? (gotta love mothers....asking multiple questions before any ones had a chance to answer the first one!)
Sam (7): We (the boys) stayed up until 12.08!
Es (8): I fell asleep at 9 but I woke at 3.00 (a.m.). You told me last night that I could watch Heidi if my brothers fell asleep (she'd already picked a different movie) so I did!
Me: You are all crazy!
So in all, Esther's had 6 hours of sleep and each of the boys got a total of 5.5 hours of sleep. These kids are used to 11-12 hours if sleep each night. Omigosh! Thankfully they haven't been grumpy like Joe thought. Why chance it?, I'll just give them naps now....before Mr. Grumpy comes out for a visit.
In the pool yesterday afternoon and the wild and crazy sleep over. And yea! we have our camera back and in working order!
3 comments:
What a fun tradition!!! Yes, naps are SUCH a blessing in this season - I can't imagine my days without one!! Yeah for the camera! You'll have to let us know how Ess's baptisim went!
Great idea! One full of memories and fun! Great pix, hallelujah for a fixed camera! : )
Naps are wonderful! Yeah, your kids are home for the summer!!!! Happy summer kick off.
Post a Comment