I've started my first quilt! Essy needed a new comforter and her b-d is coming up, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone.
I started about a month ago, and I'm not even half done. It's WAY more time consuming than I was prepared for. In order to complete Es's quilt, I would have to push myself and neglect the kids and the house for the next 13 days. And until about a half hour ago, I was going to do just that. Then I was reminded of a fact......
This past week-end Ben and I attended a retreat (locally). The focus was to understand who we are in Christ and who our enemy would want us to believe we are. It was probably the best Biblical teaching I've ever heard (and now applied:).
Anyway, at this retreat, I learned that I tend to push myself faster than God wants me to go. When I do this, I actually 'miss the mark', so to speak. I end up not getting the results I expected. I get so focused on persevering and completion that I miss the journey. I learned that God is a God, not just of arrival and completion, but also joy in traveling.....
I, as I was pushing to sew oogles and oogles, wasn't enjoying myself at all. I just wanted to make it to the birthday deadline. So much so that this morning I started to snap at the kids, telling them the reason was because I just needed to get done with this project.
Now that's a great memory for my dear Daughter! I so don't want her to remember Mama working so hard for her, that I made everyone else CRAZY and hurt every one's feeling in the process. I don't want her heart to drop every time she looks at the thing remembering the stress and hurt. I want it to remind her of joy!
So, I will miss the deadline in order to enjoy the journey. Because I am a woman who values traveling light!
The pictures above are some of what I've accomplished so far (I have completed 50 such pieces). Hey, can anyone advise me how to alternate the pictures from one side to the other? The set up looks so boxy......
7 comments:
Hey, I started a quilt when I was 13 and gave up on it at 16 and put it in the Goodwill. My mom started crocheting an afghan for my cousin when she found out my aunt was pregnant and gave it to her for her 9th birthday. She also started crocheting an afghan for my sister 12 years ago and has yet to finish it. You might think I'm rat-ing myself and my mom out as procrastinators and quitters but that is not the case either. We just know how it feels to be in your shoes. The pieces look great, I can't wait to see the finished product, in due time. You're right; Essy will much more enjoy the quilt, even if it is after her birthday, then the grumbles it took to get there.
A sermon I heard last week was about surround yourself with wise people; I am so glad I surround myself with you!!!
Yea! It feels good to know that others understand! You're sooo sweet and wise too! Love....
what pretty fabric! I love the colors.
No biggie, you can finish for next year's birthday or better yet a surprise gift just because you LOVE her. Good job!
Thanks for sharing what you learned...good reminder for us all.
About the quilt - does she know about it yet? Could you some how finish a little section (not pushing!) for her b-day and then include a note that you would like to finish it with her? Not sure if this is a one person job or how to incorporate her...just a thought...
No matter when you give it to her, it will be something she will always treasure and keep forever!
You have learned a valuable lesson! It will be a beautiful reminder of that lesson, too, but a beautiful keepsake for Es! Love you much, thanks for picking berries with me today!~ Love you, Mom : )
Post a Comment